So let's just start with the before pictures. I'm sure some of you are thinking "why on earth would you paint over those cupboards?" "Is that oak???!" "You're painting over oak?!" Um, yes. I don't like them. I want them white. It's my house. I can paint them if I want to paint them.
We decided to have a friend of Dan's from Ames who is also a professional painter, paint the doors and drawer fronts. He used a sprayer to get a nice even coat and a mixture of lacquer and white pigment to get a strong, durable finish. We would prep the doors for him to cut cost on the labor.
We began by taking off all the doors and drawer fonts. This left TONS of little screws EVERYWHERE. Kaiden had fun with it though...
|kaiden's truck full of tiny screws|
|check out the carpet in the kitchen...|
|wiping doors with lacquer thinner|
Several years ago the existing cupboards had been refaced. Meaning, they glued, yes, GLUED a new, thin layer of wood over the cupboards. We first had to pry this layer of plywood off. We pried and chiseled and scraped that wood for days... only to uncover streaks of old, dried glue everywhere.
Then came the sanding. We sanded off any last remnant of glue and prepped them so they were ready for paint. We filled nail holes, then sanded, then filled more and sanded more. It felt good to finally get that done. We're almost done! Just kidding...
Dan then added a new crown molding on the top and moved one section of cupboards above the stove to make room for a microwave.
Then the day finally arrived... we were ready to paint the cupboards. Well, sort of. I guess if you consider primer paint. We began with a coat of primer, then another. OK, now we're ready for the paint! Since the doors were being painted with a tinted lacquer, we had to find a paint that would match the tinted lacquer. We got a coat and a half of paint on the cupboards and realized the color of the cupboards and the doors didn't match. That's right, they were two different colors of white and it was noticeable. So the next day I made a trip to Sherwin Williams to color match the doors and mix some more color in the paint that was already a fourth gone. After adding a little more color in a few times, we finally had a match. We then painted another coat of paint on the cupboards. Still, the color of the doors and cupboards weren't the same. We traveled to Sherwin Williams again to mix a little more color into the paint. Perfect. We finally got the color right. We painted two more coats of paint on the cupboards and we rejoiced that we were FINALLY DONE! That is after Dan flung oil-based paint onto my hair and had to soak my hair with lacquer thinner to get it out.
|washing my hair with lacquer thinner|
Now we just need to get the rest of the kitchen looking as good as the cupboards... stay tuned for the big reveal...